ABOUT THE DARING WAY™
The Daring Way™ is a highly experiential methodology based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown. The method was designed for work with individuals, couples, families, work teams, and organizational leaders. It can be facilitated in clinical, educational, and professional settings. During the process facilitators explore topics such as vulnerability, courage, shame, and worthiness. Participants are invited to examine the thoughts, emotions, and behaviors that are holding them back and identify the new choices and practices that will move them toward more authentic and wholehearted living. The primary focus is on developing shame resilience skills and developing daily practices that transform the way we live, love, parent, and lead.
What Is The Daring Way™?
The Daring Way™ is a highly experiential curriculum based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown, who has spent the past 12 years studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame. The methodology is designed to help people to show up, be seen and live braver lives. All material in the shame resilience curriculum was prepared using the words of the individuals studied, which is why the approach is so relatable. The Daring Way™ model examines the culture of scarcity, comparison, and shame that is so prevalent in today’s society (especially among those struggling with addictions and co-occurring mental health disorders) and teaches ways to move forward into empathy, self-compassion, and wholehearted living. The Ten Daring Way™ Guideposts for Wholehearted Living include:
- Letting go of what people think, and cultivating Authenticity
- Letting go of perfectionism, and cultivating Self-Compassion
- Letting go of numbing and powerlessness, and cultivating Resilient Spirit
- Letting go of scarcity and fear of the dark, and cultivating Gratitude and Joy
- Letting go of the need for certainty, and cultivating Intuition and Trusting Faith
- Letting go of comparison, and cultivating Creativity
- Letting go of exhaustion and productivity as self-worth, and cultivating Play and Rest
- Letting go of anxiety as a lifestyle, and cultivating Calm and Stillness
- Letting go of self-doubt and “supposed to,” and cultivating Meaningful Work
- Letting go of being cool and “always in control,” and cultivating Laughter, Song, and Dance
Through The Daring Way, ™ curriculum clients learn about the myths associated with being vulnerable, how we “armor up” to avoid feeling vulnerable and ashamed, the ways in which this armoring up process diminishes our lives, and how we can put down our “protective” weaponry. A central component of The Daring Way™ process—learning to show up, be seen and live brave—is developing empathy and self-compassion (both of which are skills that can be learned) and recognizing what our true values really are. This is The Daring Way™ pathway to accepting and even embracing vulnerability, to being shame-resilient, and to living wholeheartedly.